The Honorable Evaluation Committee, courtesy of Ataraxia Theatre
With forty-six completed 7DRLs this year,
some people wonder how they will have time to play them all!
Fortunately, that is simple…
Just play about about 1.1304347826 a week for the next year.
For those less dedicated, a team of evaluators was assembled to give all the roguelikes a once-over. We graded the roguelikes under six categories using a simple three point scale. We ensured every roguelike was graded by at least two reviewers, and aimed for most to have three reviewers.
After a long week of playing, we present our results!
Check them out here, at Roguetemple’s 7DRL Shrine! http://www.roguetemple.com/7drl/2011/
The Honorable Members of the Committee
- @ Jeff Lait, Serf in Zincland
- @ Jice, Marquis of Doryen
- @ Ido Yehieli, Lord of Tametick
- @ Michael Curran, Knight Burzmali
- @ Michal Bielinski, Warrior of Ancient
- @ Darren Grey, Scholar of the roguelike world
- @ Slash, Priest of the Temple of Roguelike
This list is not meant to be an authoritative ranking of the games. If you dive in, you will see different reviewers often disagreed on the rankings.
Instead, it is a way for you to help select which 7DRLs are likely to have things of interest to you.
Specific comments were also written by reviewers. Note that these are criticism for the developer to better improve the game – please do not be unduly offended if they are nitpicky or consist of “I got killed by a ferret on the first screen”.
The categories are, with description of what a 3 means:
- Completeness: Bug free, polished game with no features that feel like they are missing.
- Aesthetics: Good looking, excellent controls and UI.
- Fun: If you try any 7DRLs, try this one.
- Innovation: Brings something fundamentally new to roguelikes.
- Scope: Beyond what you think could have been done in seven days.
- Roguelike: 3 means Roguelike, 2 means Roguelike-like, 1 means Not Roguelike. Each reviewer used their own personal definition here.
Thanks to all the members of the committee for their great efforts, we hope you enjoy it! Thanks to kaw too, for providing the tools to generate the results page.